Knowing about chinchilla before making it as a pet would be a much wiser decision than to re-check your decision after you have purchased a chinchilla as a pet. Chinchillas are cute active rodents which are loved by many people around the world. But some people feel they are very messy. You must clearly understand the needs, requirement and character of chinchillas before you decide to make chinchillas as your pets.
Several characteristics of chinchilla shows that they are a good pet. Before you buy a chinchilla, you have to know something about the pet. That makes you to decide whether Chinchilla is a perfect pet for you.
Qualities of Chinchillas:
- As any animal, chinchillas has both good and bad characteristics. Some characters & qualities of chinchillas are listed below.
- They have very soft fur with a high density.
- It does not have any odour or smell bad.
- It is active throughout the day.
- It is a nocturnal rodent which means it will be active both during the night. During day time it requires a silent environment and it sleeps most of the day time.
- Chinchillas must not be disturbed with sudden noises when it is sleeping. It will cause digestive problems in them.
- They cannot tolerate high temperatures, hence make sure they are placed in a cool environment as high heat might affect their health and might even cause death.
- They are active always and keep jumping here and there. They even squeeze through small gaps.
- They live up to 15-20 years.
- It has a gestation period of 111 days.
- It has a ever growing teeth.
Chinchillas Need Enough Space:
Chinchillas are very active rodents which means they always keep running around. They need a large cage since they keep running and need exercise at least for one hour every day. If you provide them a very small cage, they might become dull & suppressed. So, if you are to choose chinchilla as your pet, you have to make sure that you provide enough space to it.
When construction a cage, make sure it has enough space and has two floors in it.
Feed them Regularly:
Chinchillas drink water very often. So make sure you place clean water in the cage so that they can drink water whenever they need. Feeding the chinchilla must be done in regular intervals. You can also place them in a strong container and keep in the cage.
Chinchillas feed on hay and food pellets. Limit the number of times you treat the chinchilla as they have a sensitive digestive system. Foods with high sugar, oil and fat content must be avoided. Maintain a proper diet right from the beginning so that it stays happy and healthy.
Consult the vet only if it has a health issue.
Don’t Mishandle Chinchilla:
If you are searching for a pet to entertain your children, then chinchillas are not recommend. They are tiny creatures and must be handled properly. If they are squeezed over a limit, they might jump & run or otherwise bite you.
They Live for Long:
Chinchillas has a long lifespan, they live more than 10-20 years. So you must be ready to accommodate chinchilla as your family member with care for a long period of time.
They Make Noise:
As they are nocturnal, they are very active during night and might make noises which are unpleasant and even disturb your sleep.
Take Note of the Bills:
Chinchillas can get sick at times and the vet bills for chinchillas are not so cheap. You might need a decent budget to take care of your chinchilla every day and during times when you need to take it to the vet.
If you are comfortable with all the above mentioned points, then Yes, Chinchilla makes very good pets at home. If you are not comfortable with these points, they you have to find another pet which suits your lifestyle and mind. It is really a nice decision to check if chinchilla makes a good pet than to abandon them at a later stage.